UPDATE: Since 28th July, LPW Members can drop-in to use the studio during our Open Access hours (Tuesday – Friday, 10am – 4pm during August) or book in to use the Studio using our online booking system.
Our Studio can be found at 50, St. George Street, close to Curve Theatre, LCB Depot and Phoenix Cinema. As well as boasting a large, well lit and equipped studio we also have an Education Space, Gallery and a Shop.
If you’d like to come and look around the studio please get in touch by email or by telephone on 0116 251 4174.
Our studio is open Tuesday to Saturday, 10am – 4pm. It provides the facilities to practice a wide range of traditional printmaking techniques:
- Intaglio Methods
Etching, Aquatint, Mezzotint, Drypoint, Collagraph, Photo Etching, Solar Plate
- Relief Methods
Wood Cut, Lino Cut, Wood Engraving, Letterpress
- Other Methods
Screenprinting, Textile Screenprinting, Monoprinting, Stone Lithography, Photo Plate Lithography, Mokulito, Bookbinding
- 2 x Rochat etching presses, 26” x 48” / 66cm x 121cm
- 2 x Extraction Units – Multiple baths for nitric and Dutch mordant etching
- Resin aquatint booth (max plate size 18” x 30” / 46cm x 76cm)
- 3 x Rollaco portable presses (2 × 30 × 60 cm – 1 × 40 × 80cm)
- Darkroom for photo etching, including solar plate
- Guillotine – suitable for cutting metal plates (zinc and copper) up to 1 metre
- 1838 Columbian Press (Bed Size 27” x 37”)
- c. 1830 Britannia Hand Iron Press, 20” x 26” (kindly donated by Bryan K. Foster of Ashby Lane Press, Bitteswell)
- Hydraulic Beevers Press (Bed size – 43.5” x 31.5”)
- Galley proofing press, 8” x 16”
- 4 x Adana 8×5 tabletop presses
- 4 x Nipping presses. (Sizes: 18” x 12”, 12” x 9”, 12” x 10”, 12” x 9.5”)
- A large collection of metal and wood type
- Composing Room equipment: galleys, chases, lead cutter, bowler, composing sticks, etc.
- Natgraph self contained exposure unit, 16” x 23” / 42cm x 60cm
- Natgraph self contained exposure unit, 30” x 40” / 76cm x 102cm
- 1 x large silkscreen vacuum bed, 30” x 40”
- Hinged screenprinting boards (various sizes)
- Heatpress for textiles (foiling, flocking, puff binder and devore,) 36cm x 36cm / 14” x 14”
- Large backlit wash out unit and drying cabinets
- Screen storage available
- Screens for hire.
- Furnival & Co Stone Lithography Press 18” x 33” / 47cm x 85cm
- B. Winston & Sons Stone Lithography Press 26” x 40” / 65cm x 103cm
- Over 30 Lithography Stones
- Darkroom for photoplate lithography
- Morso Guillotine
- Morso Underpinner
- Keen Cut Mount Cutting Guillotine
- Solid wood mouldings supplied by Rose & Hollis
- We offer an inhouse framing service. Please contact us for more details.
- Lockers and drawer hire available for storage of prints.
- Rotatrim Paper Guillotine (max width 50” or 127cm)
- We have a range of large drying racks.
As a registered charity, at Leicester Print Workshop we recycle and restore and can make great use of any printing equipment which is no longer being used and loved (presses, ink, letterpress type and sundries, paper etc). If you have anything that you would like to re-home and donate, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Your support and generosity will be greatly appreciated by our community of artists and everyone that uses our building.